8 Compelling Reasons to Incorporate Avocados into your Diet + Skincare
There is nothing better in the world than the perfectly ripe, buttery avocado! Plus, the health benefits for your body and your skin abound so besides making your tastebuds happy you are also doing great things internally and externally.
Here are some reasons you might want to consider this unique fruit as part of your next meal or your skin and hair care.
1. They are Incredibly Nutritious!
There is a reason this fruit has become such a go-to for health conscious individuals! This superfood packs as serious amount of nutrition in a single serving.
- Vitamin K: 26% of the daily value (DV)
- Folate: 20% of the DV
- Vitamin C: 17% of the DV
- Potassium: 14% of the DV
- Vitamin B5: 14% of the DV
- Vitamin B6: 13% of the DV
- Vitamin E: 10% of the DV
- Also contains magnesium, manganese, copper, zinc, phosphorous, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1(thiamine), B2 (riboflavin) and B3 (niacin)
2. Avocados are Packed with “Good Fats”
Good fats are finally getting the attention by health experts that they deserve and monounsaturated fat is one of the good guys. Avocados are full of monounsaturated fat, specifically Oleic Acid an omega-9 fatty acid. Oleic Acid has been linked to reduced risk of coronary heart disease, dental and eye health, reduces systems of arthritis and helps the body to absorb vital nutrients.
3. They Promote Glowing Skin
They contain sterolins and magnesium that can be effective in boosting collagen and hyaluronic acid production, keeping the skin firm and moisturized. They are also packed with Vitamin E and Omega-3’s which help treat dry skin, sunburn and eczema. Your skin will drink this oil up and you will be so happy with the glowing results!
4. They Promote Healthy Hair
Avocados contain a fatty substance called Lecithin and when applied to the hair it actually penetrates the hair shaft, moisturizing and protecting the hair rather than sitting on top of the hair and simply coating it. The fatty substances found in avocado oil can actually strengthen the hair shaft and prevent breakage resulting in luminous gorgeous hair. Yes, please.
5. They Support Eye Health
Avocados contain an antioxidant called Lutein. Lutein is an essential nutrient for the eyes but your body does not make it so you have to get it though your foods. Other foods that are good sources of Lutein are green leafy veggies, broccoli, zucchini, egg yolks and, of course, the infamous avocado.
6. They have Detoxing Benefits
Avocados contain magnesium which can remove harmful toxic metals like lead and mercury from your blood stream and vital organs. We don’t always know how they got in but here is a delicious way to get them out!
7. Avocados are the Bioavailable Whole Package!
Remember those Luteins we told you about for eye health? Well those antioxidants along with others can be a bit high maintenance when it comes to being properly absorbed into the body. They require fat to help the absorption work properly and the avocado it chock full of fat making it the perfect one, two bioavailable punch for those high maintenance but highly beneficial antioxidants.
8. They Contain More Potassium than a Banana
Potassium is one of the most important minerals in the body and also one that most people don’t get enough of. Potassium helps regulate muscle contractions (can you say charlie horse), nerve signals and fluid balance in the body. Next time you come in from a hot sweaty workout and are looking to put that potassium back in the body reach for an avocado and give the banana a hall pass!
So now that you know how amazing the avocado really is let me share with you some ways you can incorporate avocado oil into your daily routine.
- Cook with it, it has a very mild flavor so won’t hijack the flavor of you food as well as a high smoke point
- Use it in baking instead of a lower quality, less nutritious oil like canola
- Use it as a moisturizer for your skin. Even better try Olive + M’s Eye Serum with avocado oil being a key ingredient.
- Use it as an overnight hair treatment
- Use it for salad dressings and marinades
So let it rain avocados! You know what they say, everything in moderation, except avocados!